Wednesday, August 26, 2009

Girls Just Wanna Have Fu-un!


Today was a half day for the Child Children. We are only one week into school and they already have a half day. What the . . . ? But my how kids love the half days (I am still on the fence). On this particular day my darling daughter Hailey had two of her friends over to play (Hailey is the cowgirl furthest right). And what do nine year old girls do when they get together, you ask? When nine year old girls get together they . . . Form Clubs. Yes, forming "Girls Only" clubs is a time honored tradition that may have been started by Eve herself. In fact, I believe it is written somewhere that starting one of these clubs is a sacred right of passage - at least it seems to be in our family. I was a proud member of the "Sweet Savages" of 1982. The exclusive membership roster consisted of only 4 names and officially came to order twice. But we had binders and we had rules so we were no joke!

Like her mother before her, Hailey has proudly carried on the Club Forming tradition and is now a founding member of the "Dancing Queens." Please don't tell her that there are most likely hundreds of other clubs with this name without a single female member. But I really do believe it is a great name for a club. I actually suggested it after forcing them to listen to "The Best of ABBA" Soundtrack. They ran with the idea and declared that the song "Dancing Queen" will be played at the start of every official club meeting. I'm SO not kidding and I LOVE it!!! How great is it to have a daughter?!? Moving on with the story. . . Hailey and her lovely friends (I cannot reveal their names for fear of severe punishment for breaking club rules) had the most glorious time during their FOUR hour club meeting. First they had a "Tea Party" where they ate Pizza and Sunny D (How cool am I :)) Then they dressed up like cowgirls and walked around the neighborhood pretending to be orphans lost in the wilderness or something like that (I was trying really hard to eavesdrop - but I was not very successful with the details). I LOVE these girls! It was 108 degrees today and they wore boots, coats and hats outside on their lonely orphan trek - although they finally lost the coats by the time I found my camera! Oh by the way, you'll notice an extra little club member in the picture. Hailey is such a sweet big sister, but I really hope this doesn't cause any permanent testosterone damage to poor Connor.

After the treacherous wilderness hike, they changed once again like butterflies into teenage girls going to the prom. I have a few "prom-like" dresses I picked up whilst shopping and they love to dress up and dance in them. This is where ABBA comes in. Picture it. . . three cute girls, dresses too big, lip gloss, cowboy hats and lots of synchronized dancing. Best day ever! Of course I showed them my disco moves but I don't think they were too impressed! Sadly the meeting came to an end around 3:30 pm. But fear not! There is talk of a mandatory club meeting tomorrow after school. I love being a mom!

2 comments:

  1. It is great being your Mom, Beckie. You were such a girlie girl and I loved it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. how fun, beckie! i'm so glad you documented this. it's fun to be able to read and feel like i was there witnessing these cute girls' day! thank you. love the details. :) i guess the 2nd mtg is @ my house~ today. i do have dancing queen on ipod, so i won't lead them astray by not providing the appropriate intro music.

    ReplyDelete